Minor Dwelling Builders in Auckland
Have You Thought About Developing Your Existing Auckland Property To Fit A Minor Dwelling On It?
Discover How We Can Build You A High Quality, Custom Designed Auckland Minor Dwelling That Matches Your Lifestyle And Taste, But Doesn’t Blow The Budget
Changes to Auckland Unitary Plan make it Easier to Build a Minor Dwelling
With the recent changes to the Auckland Unitary Plan property development is now being encouraged, especially around public transport routes. Previous requirements and restrictions have been significantly relaxed which has increased the possibility of adding that extra unit or minor dwelling.
Extra dwellings could be used for a number of options including rental unit, Air B’n’B, or flat etc. It could even be subdivided off and sold as a stand-alone house giving you a sizable return on your investment.
The first step of our unique process is to Download our FREE Guide
By downloading our FREE guide you’ll be able to go through this 7-Step process…
- Step 1 – Determine what zoning your property is in and learn the standards
- Step 2 – Check your site to see if it has any issues to work through
- Step 3 – Work out what you can build on your site while meeting the standards
- Step 4 – Work out an estimate of your Development Contributions
- Step 5 – Service Connections – Sewer, Stormwater, Power, Water, etc
- Step 6 – How much will it cost for the actual build?
- Step 7 – Putting it all together using the Goldline Feasibility Checklist
As this is a very comprehensive guide, I have broken it down into 7 individual PDF documents so you don’t get overwhelmed with information overload up front. These 7 documents will be emailed out to you separately one every second day so you have enough time to complete each step before the next one arrives. I have also recorded some tutorial videos with property examples showing you how to complete each step for yourself.
In order to work out a true comprehensive ballpark estimate for your Granny Flat or Minor Dwelling, fill in the form and download our FREE guide NOW!
Budgeting Costs to Consider
There are a considerable number of requirements and associated costs that need to be sorted out up front before building work can begin. Don’t be fooled by some of the so-called cheap prices being banded around in the media about minor dwellings being as cheap as $69,000. That price was excluding GST and was for materials only. It didn’t include builder’s labour, plumbing, electrical or any of the following costs that may be required:
- Concept and Working Drawings by an Architectural Designer
- Site topographical/contour survey and marking boundaries by a registered surveyor
- Geotech Engineering often required for foundation works
- A Structural Engineer that may be required for specific structural design of foundations or bracing etc
- Sometimes a Town Planner may be required and can be engaged to work through the Resource Consent process if necessary
- Building Consent fees
- There are a number of reasons why a Resource Consent my be required – Building over pipes, Height to boundary infringement or woring through a council Overlay e.g. a Heritage Area etc
- Some sites require a Flood Report and specific foundation design if they are in a flood plane or have an Overland Flow Path on the site
- Council Contributions are also required for site developments
- Most sites these days also require retention tanks for stormwater mitigation to stop flooding in the streets
Other costs to consider could be the following:
- Services connections like power, water, sewer and fibre. If the property is subdividable it may pay to put in new connections rather than connecting to the existing main house services
- Landscaping and retaining walls
- Driveways, decks and fences
We will work through all these requirements up front and determine what is necessary for your site. We will try and include as much as possible in our Preliminary Building Agreement so that you are as informed as possible around the costs associated with your build.
Generally you will need a budget starting from a minium of $200K and it will depend on what is actually required for your site, the spec and level of finish you want and the actual size and design.
Want to see our dwelling styles and sample floor plans?
Guarantee for Peace of Mind
We belong to the Registered Master Builders Association and as standard we include the Master Build 10-Year Guarantee which comes with:
- 10-Year Structural Guarantee
- Protection against loss of deposit
- Protection against non-finished works
Design & Build from concept to completion done in 30 weeks or we'll give you $5,000 cash - T&C's Apply*
* Terms & Conditions – 30 weeks Design & Build package based on 200m2 house or less and excludes Resource Consent stage if this is a requirement. Clock stops if owners take longer than 3 weeks to confirm scope and make decisions in the design phase. Applies to Full Contract builds in Auckland area only. Clock starts once Preliminary Building Agreement is signed and runs through Concept stage, Full Working Drawings stage, Building Consent Application stage, Full Construction stage, and finishes on issue of Code Compliance Certificate or Move-in date whichever is the earlier. Clock stops with any hold-ups due to the owner or land related issues. 30 weeks is based on a week being 5 working days and excludes public holidays. 30 weeks excludes time from 24th December through to 15th January. If owner supplies any part/s of the project then they must stick to our schedule or job becomes ineligible.